For quite some time now, Chef Christian Fiol and bartender Chris Anderson have been lobbying for more Resident Brewing on tap. The requests were frequent and varied, so with so many choices and no time to visit, we decided to select some of Resident’s favorites and sample them along side you.
This will be our final tap takeover of 2017, which included the likes of Green Flash, Alpine, Societe, Hess, Firestone-Walker and Cellar 3. In addition, Chef Christian created a special entree for the night to pair with a couple of Resident beers, or both of them because, of course you should!!
Get in early and get a free Resident Brewing logo glass with the purchase of your Resident Brewing beer.
Chef Christian’s Food & Beer Pairing
On a trip to Resident Brewing, Chef Christian’s juices were flowing after a couple of the brews had flowed. He opted for a new steak special to pair with the Gaslamp Porter or the Walk of Shame Coffee Blonde. It’s been getting (slightly) colder and cold weather brings about stout and porter season. His Coffee Crusted Steak is served with parsnip puree, grilled broccolini, leek ash and coffee-balsamic reduction. There are a limited number of entrees available – another reason to get in early!
Early 2017 welcomed a long-awaited renovation and addition to Downtown’s beloved watering hole, The Local, and with it bring a very necessary stop for any craft beer fans, tourists and well, locals. Resident Brewing takes up space next door with a glass wall for nerdy beer enthusiasts the opportunity to masters do some work on the 10-barrel system.
Head brewer Robert Masterson is in his first professional brewing job, but don’t let that fool you. Masterson is quite the experienced and celebrated homebrewer. First up, Masterson won first place for his IPA in a Pizza Port homebrew competition. Then won at Stone Brewing Company’s American Homebrew Association Competition in 2013, and again first place and third place at Karl Strauss Pro-Am Brewing Contest in 2014. Next thing you know he’s brewing those award-winning recipes for the masses, and apparently, he still kept his day job!
Address: 1065 Fourth Avenue, San Diego, California 92101
- Perky Blonde Ale From the brewer, “She’s a perky classic American blonde ale with a slightly sweet finish that is sure to have you coming back for more. Medium dry, crisp, malt forward, did we mention perky?” | 5.2% abv | 17 ibu | Willamette Hops |
- Chasing Citra Single Hop IPA From the brewer, “We are all chasing something. A bright and crisp American IPA with a single hop... Citra. Citra hops bring melon, tangerine, pineapple and tropical fruit aroma and flavor that will have you chasing one more.” | 6.4% abv | 50 ibu | Citra hops
- Tempered Ego IPA New England-style Hazy IPA | 6.7% abv | 40 ibu | Motueka, Galaxy and Citra hops.
- Walk of Shame Coffee Blonde From the brewer, “We boost up this light colored blonde ale with a blend of two coffee varietals, vanilla bean, cacao nibs and lactose.” | 5.4% abv | 20 ibu
- Gaslamp Porter From the brewer, “A medium-bodied, malty porter with a chocolaty, caramel, lightly burnt toast and nutty taste.” | 5.7% abv | 29 ibu | available on nitro